Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Dalai Lama's Laugh



The Dalai Lama’s Laugh

I wrote a poem a few years ago
that my friends really liked, but
I lost the poem.

I have been upset for many years
that this particular one got lost
due to carelessness.

Sometimes when I drive my car
I feel like banging my fist into
the window.

Because I lost this poem.
a little gem of a poem. My gem.
irreplaceable.

This evening when I was driving
I was reminded again of this
Lost poem.

So sharply do I feel its loss
it is like losing a country or
at least a lover

I fell into a thought today
and I was skimming my mind
with this pebble

Tibetan monks spend days
of intricate work making
marvelous mandalas

After it is made, they,
routinely destroy the work
Of many hours

They would’ve deliberately
lost the poem, and this thought
scares me.


1 comment:

  1. You should write. Seriously. God of "Small Things" would become a "small thing", if you choose to write.

    ReplyDelete